As per our previous post on BSNL 3G is now available in your city. The million dollar question is what you can do with 3G services, what is the difference between 2G & 3G. Here is the explanation.
What is 3G :
3G is the next generation of mobile communications systems. It enhances the services such as multimedia, high speed mobile broadband, internet access with the ability to view video footage on your mobile handset. With a 3G phone and access to the 3G network you can make video calls, watch live TV, access the high speed internet, receive emails and download music tracks, as well as the usual voice call and messaging services found on a mobile phone, like person to person video, live streaming, downloadable video of entertainment, news, current affairs and sport content and video messaging.
What can you do with 3G services
>> 3G Mobile handsets are available in India since long, but there was no Mobile Operator giving this service. Now when its available your handset becomes an all purpose device.
>> Browse Internet and send, receive large emails including graphics. 3G also enables faster movie downloads.
>> Make video calls and videoconference (possible on 3G to 3G calls). I hope now you understand the meaning of that front camera in Nokia N95, N96, N70 and 6680. Yes you can do video conferencing with your mobile now.
>> Get streaming TV on phone screen, Now you can watch available TV channels directly on your mobile.
>> You can get Remote access footage from CCTV (its helps you to be safe while you are away from your home) Now watch your CCTV footage right on your mobile, where ever you are.
>> You can surf internet with high speed data transfer. Currently BSNL is giving 384KBPS (note that big B, its 3mbps) as per their Faq’s section.
>> Now you can play those heavy online games.
>> If you have GPS inbuilt in your Mobile/Cell, you can get faster navigation with AGPS, You can get live Maps using third party applications.
>> 3G services give mobile users high-quality voice transmission and access to high-end data applications on their mobile phones.
Features of BSNL 3G service
You can get a demonstration of 3G at any BSNL Customer Care Centre
- You can get 3G services on your existing number
- You can use your 3G Mobile to access CCTV footage or similar application
- Storage capacity of BSNL 3G SIM is 128 KB
- Video call facility, Mobile broadband, Mobile TV content available on BSNL 3G Portal
- 3G network provides connectivity between the handset and the internet cloud and is fully secure
- Enjoy High speed internet and data service even while on the move.
- Connect your Mobile with your Computer/laptop with data cable/bluetooth and enjoy the high speed internet on your PC. You can buy external 3G data card too.
- The Internet Cloud – A junk of all the movies, music, games etc is available for every 3G user.
- Use Mobile TV, Mobile Broadband, Video calls, Movies, Video PRBT etc
- There are two types of data card HSDPA card & PCMCIA based. HSDPA card is USB based and can be connected respectively at PCMCIA slot and USB port of Laptop . These are plug and play devices. The download speed presently available with these cards is 3.6 Mbps.
2G vs 3G
3G represents the next step in the evolution of mobile telephony, offering markedly greater capacity and efficiency than the current 2G systems. While 2G is focused on voice, 3G supports high-speed data of at least 144 kbps enabling broadband Internet access on the mobile, and "triple play" features like mobile TV and converged communication services. Similarly, 3G will allow operators to enhance their capacities for voice traffic as well. Currently, key operators are facing severe 2G spectrum crunch in top 20-30 cities which is hampering their future growth. As the government has indicated that it has limited spectrum left for 2G services. Also, while 3G is good for data services, it is also three times more efficient than current technologies in packing in subscribers.
2G -- 10kb/sec
3G -- 3mb/sec
Time taken to download a 3-min MP3 song
2G -- 31 to 40 minutes
3G -- 11 seconds to 1.5 min